PLAYING BIG: MY REFLECTIONS OF A NEW YORK DREAM
I remember throughout school Mum would always buy our school jumper’s a little bigger than normal. She said we would grow into them and she was right (as she generally always is). That’s exactly how I would explain my recent trip to New York. It felt like I was wearing an oversized jumper that I was hoping to grow into. The words soul stirring, heart exploding and inspiring also come to mind when I think about it.
The minute that Julie told me that the Beautiful You Coaching Academy Inspiration Day would be in New York – I knew in my heart that I had to be there. I had no idea how I was going to make it happen (again!), but my intuition whispered to me ‘GO!’ and I had to listen.
My NYC experience reminds me about a book that I recently read called ‘Playing Big’ by Tara Mohr. There are so many things that prevent us from following our heart and going after our dreams, but this trip was my declaration that it was time to stop playing small, and start playing big. I won’t lie – it felt uncomfortable, shaky and wonky but with that also comes a renewed strength, passion and determination to ‘just do it’ (it being our dreams).
‘Playing Big’ seemed to be the running theme as I listened, laughed and connected with the most beautiful group of coaches throughout this special day. I will try my best to sum it up in my reflections but here are a few of my favourite take-away’s and lesson’s from this incredible trip. I’m also including some of my personal highlights at the end too!
As a young woman who has been in the initial stages of starting up a life coaching business – all sorts of fears, tears and moments of uncertainty have bubbled up to the surface. It doesn’t matter what you’re pursuing, finding that inspiration and motivation to keep going can be tough. This day completely reinforced why I do what I do in the most loving and supportive way.
Julie reminded us that self-love is the absolute key. When I heard these words a little tear wanted to squeeze its way out. I knew that I was extending so much love to everyone else, but I had forgotten to give myself some much-needed love throughout this process. It was time to give myself credit for how far I had come and speak to myself more kindly. As much as I love working on my business and building this gorgeous tribe, I can forget how important it is to fill up my own cup. It’s true what they say – we teach what we most need to learn!
Keynote speaker Selena Soo shared so generously about how she has built connections and relationships with some of the most influential people in the entrepreneurial world. Think Marie Forleo and Danielle Laporte! It reinforced to me that the people that we put up on a pedestal are in fact people too. We are all looking for support and connection so any opportunity where you can add value and be of service to someone should be expressed. Oh and if you admire someone? Tell them!
Tanya Geisler came onto the stage and my heart exploded. This woman highlighted all of the lies that we tell ourselves and spoke about the ‘Imposter Complex’. You know the lies that we have nothing original to say, that we’re not ready, that successful people don’t experience fear or anxiety. She flipped every single one of those lies on their head and I could hear this song playing in my head. When fear gets in the way she told us to affirm: “I am nervous to be doing this, but excited because it matters”. Tanya reminded us to never give up – “tenacity is your currency”. Oh so beautiful and enlightening.
To top it off we got to hear more beautiful coaches speak about their experiences and ended the day with wine, cheese, photo’s and laughs (could it get any better?). It was truly a magical day and I’m so thankful that I got to be a part of it.
Other NYC Highlights
- Realising that travel always seems to create an internal shift for me. It shakes me out of my normal routine and helps me to connect with who I am and who I want to be.
- I’m so lucky to have shared this trip with my Mum who had never been overseas before. Her love and support means the world to me and I’ll cherish all of the memories that we created.
- Broadway musicals completely transport me to another world. We loved seeing Beautiful: The Carole King Musical and Kinky Boots. So many happy tears!
- Walking around Central Park…even though we were dying from the summer heat, being amongst nature and watching school kids play during the day was absolute BLISS. It’s a must do!
- Seeing Gabby Bernstein speak at Deepak Homebase (this place is INCREDIBLE). I am loving her book ‘Miracles Now’ and her affirmation cards are simply divine.
- Dining at these glorious eateries: Dig Inn, The Juice Shop, Hu Kitchen, Foragers, Eataly and the Green Table at the Chelsea Markets. They helped balance out the cream cheese bagel and waffles 😉
- Oh and I can’t forget letting my inner child come out to play and riding the carousel with the BYCA babes (as pictured below).
I really do hope that this reflection inspires you to PLAY BIG in your life too. I would love to know – has there been a time when you’ve decided to take the leap and play BIG? Or perhaps you’re struggling to trust yourself and go for it? Either way, I’m curious to know so share with me in the comments below.